Monday, April 21, 2008

21. Keeping up

A usual phenomenon--struggling just to keep up with what's right in front of my face.

I have had an amazing past few weeks, though.

Here's a (not so) small part:

(1) To begin with, the weather has been absolutely gorgeous. Clear, sunny days and weather in the 70's is unheard of for Michigan at this time of the year. We've gone outside many of the days at school, and our language arts class is heading off for our annual writing retreat tomorrow. I am always excited for this, but this may be our first warm -- and sunny -- year!

(2) Our Conference Council on Youth Ministries lead a Confirmands' Rally for about 250 youth from both the West Michigan and Detroit Conferences. I was the chair of the planning committee and put in many late nights getting things together, but every second was worth it. Those who volunteered to help with the rally -- from the praise band at the college and local church, to our youth coordinator, to the amazing CCYM leaders who worked with workshops and worship, to all the attending youth who willingly participated. There were some kinks, and I learned a lot along the way, but I enjoyed it so immensely. God was working in so many awesome ways.

(3) This past weekend I went to a Youth Lay Speaking Weekend in our district, taking the Advanced Class, Lay Speakers Tell Stories-- the course is written by Ray Buckley. As my last time attending as a youth, as well as one of my last times truly being laity (I'll be in the transition this time next year as a certified candidate, God-willing), it meant a lot to me. I enjoyed spending a silly weekend with some older friends and getting a chance to meet the new youth there for basic. We paired up with them as prayer partners and really had some awesome conversations. It got me ready for a week of work-- but alas I'm off for another retreat. I will have mountains by the time I get back on Thursday because...

(4) speaking of work, I have a lot! Finals for my Spanish class are next week. Our group is presenting on women's changing roles in society in Spain from the Civil War there through present. I have an ending narrative to write, severe memorizing to do as the narrator, an evaluation to prepare, and I'm sure, as the week progresses, several other details to attend to. As well, I have a final paper to write for that class on elements of theatre in Todo Sobre Mi Madre (a subject I chose myself and am interested in, but still have no reason to look forward to writing!) I am weeks behind in AP French--thank goodness for an understanding teacher. I have a test to finish, three essays to write, two quizzes, and a discussion board post. I need to gain momentum to finish the course early, as well, since I'm graduating before the end of the course as scheduled. My Japanese course...is well, not being done. Out of 8 lessons (that take me approximately 2 hours each), I've finished exactly one...and maybe a half.

Why is it so much easier to write about work than to do it? I also have books to read and a paper to write for English and a chapbook to put together. But I will get through it, and it will feel good when I do because

I.am.graduating!!!!

(5) In a windfall, I received two jobs for this summer. One, which I have started, is at a cute place called Tropical Smoothie Cafe. The hours are somewhat long, but I love the work, love the people, and definitely love my discounts on the food. I'll also be working at the zoo after the start of their season in May. I am very excited for this summer! It will be busy but a good one.

(6) And the other things filling my time? Various church events, registering for housing and orientation at U of M for next year, working through the Candidacy Process and preparing for the psych assessment that comes next, and trying to find some time to spend with friends and family (particulary my mother -- and Sammy and Ashton whom I haven't seen in a few weeks!) as well as squeezing in an occasional nap or two.

Off to do tomorrow's packing--

Grace and peace!

1 comment:

Rivka said...

OH MY GOSH! Lizz wrote in here blog (and I just noticed)! Wow. Ha ha. I just started a new blog that I hope to keep up this summer (which began TODAY for me, cartwheeling in the grass at Delta)

What a nice method of procrastination for you though. :P

Want some advice on the psych assessment (besides that you're like the sanest person I know). I can tell you everything not to say! (because I spent years saying those things...)

Sometimes I get very excited for you and it makes me smile. I'm very glad life is treating you so well.

I hope Higgins Lake was awesome (how could it not have been?)

ANd I'm rambling so much and I want to say I'm procrastinating but I have nothing to procrastinate from! I'm so excited for the next four months!!!!

And alas, I actually do need to head to choir practice!